In order to create a Pivotal GemFireXD Data Source Connection from IntelliJ 13.x , follow the steps below. You will need to define a GemFireXD driver , prior to creating the Data Source itself.
1. Bring up the Databases panel.
2. Define a GemFireXD Driver as follows
3. Once defined select it by using the following options. Your using the Driver you created at #2 above
+ -> Data Source -> com.pivotal.gemfirexd.jdbc.ClientDriver
4. Create a Connection as shown below. You would need to having a running GemFireXD cluster at this point in order to connect.
5. Once connected you can browse objects as shown below.
6. Finally we can run DML/DDL directly from IntelliJ as shown below.